[HECnet] two dumb RSX questions

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Mon Dec 30 18:19:00 PST 2013

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

On 12/27/2013 04:16 AM, goran ahling wrote:
As I remember the SYSGEN/NETGEN task, the controller intended for DECnet
should NOT be taken into SYSGEN at all, but later, at the totally
separate task of performing NETGEN once Your OS. is up and running, it
should be included there. So, no need to redo your SYSGEN when playing
with different Ethernet cards.

  Ahh, excellent.   Thank you.

  I've run into a snag, though.   I'm trying to allow sysgen to
autoconfigure the hardware via ACF, and it hangs on my 11/24 system.
I've tried with both 4.3 and 4.6.   Thinking it might have something to
do with my recently-installed and untested DELUA, I removed it, but I
get the same result.

Voltages stable?   Backplane clean?

  So I completed sysgens via manual hardware configuration entry, both
with and without the DELUA.   Both sysgen runs completed successfully,
but the system hangs when I try to boot the new executive.

  The hardware is, as far as I can tell, otherwise fine.   I built the
system up from parts a few weeks ago, and have exercised it with RT-11.
Everything seems ok.   The baseline RSX system boots just fine.

  I've set up an identically-configured instance of simh, and run
through the same process on that, and it works.

Interesting.   Maybe a fault due to a difference betweren RSX and RT-11
drivers?

  My next step is to pull it out of the rack and triple check things
like the memory boards' CSRs and such, etc., but I thought I'd ask here
first.

  I last ran an RSX sysgen almost thirty years ago, and I barely
remember it at all...but I'm certain nothing like this happened.   That
was on an 11/34 with RL01s, RL02s, and RK07s.

  Any thoughts?

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects