[HECnet] VT320 issues

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Tue Dec 24 12:20:29 PST 2013

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

On 12/24/2013 12:33 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
Did this email send previously 4 times?   I never got a response nor did I
get my own email, so apologies if Exchange being the dumbest mailserver
ever has caused you pain and suffering in the form of repeated emails.

  My God.   Why do you run that garbage?   Nobody with half a clue runs
that shit on purpose.

It was more reliable than my previous mailserver which is the absurdly sad
part.

I can set another mailserver up in a couple hours for $7/mo....I don't
know why I don't do that.

My VT320 decided to fail last night.

It was running fine, I stepped away, returned to it off and repeatedly
clicking/ticking.   It sounded like either a stuck relay or the flyback
arcing.   The screen would occasionally flash and the current draw would
fluctuate between 2W and 17-25W until it eventually turned on and ran
fine.

Any theories?   Should I distrust the VT320 or was it just something like a
stuck relay that's older than me?   I grabbed pictures of the board but
they never seemed to actually get anywhere.

  Electrolytic capacitors.   Though that's a bit early for them to start
failing; VT320s aren't all that old, and I have yet to see a bad one.

That would explain the fluctuating voltage until everything settled.

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects