[HECnet] Arabic / Unicode support on VMS?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Dec 19 15:35:41 PST 2013

I remember having this discussion about 30 years ago with a couple of the VMS implementors. Im not going to argue with you - other thanks to say - at the end of the day we decided just what I said -- there are pros/cons to each solution - you pointed out some of the pros for logicals.

But reality is that what people use them for is pretty much the same and from a programmer stand point - about the same amount of work to get the values.

I point out - that Cutler added to winders whatever he needed from VMS that did not really support.    He used env's since thats what they had -- they could have added them if they had wanted too.   But in fact what they already had a solution - yup it came from C and UNIX but it was good enough.

As I said - its really an issue what is native for each system -- you should use that solution of you can.   I do not fault you for using logicals for a tool targeted to a   RSX or VMS.    I'm just not going to grant that they really all that different.

As for a universal resolver vs having each client do a lot of work in the library, that was and is an implementation choice - left over from how it was the original DNS was implemented (at Berkeley on the VAX at the time).    It is interesting that the UNIX idea of a small program was sort of lost by many of my brethren at UCB when large address spaces showed up.

I suspect that if the DNS had been written for PDP-11 UNIX it might have been a separate process.

Clem