[HECnet] Arabic / Unicode support on VMS?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Dec 19 14:14:54 PST 2013

On 2013-12-19 21:07, John Wilson wrote:
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se>

To get more on topic - I'm working on a name resolver for RSX right now.
It's a totally awesome thing, and I only wish Unix (or even VMS) had
something similar.

Me too!   Port?

To Unix? Not likely. Logical names just don't have a good equivalent. The Unix way is text files with configurations instead. But the form of that is already established, with the /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf (and /etc/hosts) files. Hard to change, and those do unfortunately not easily allow user overrides at any level.

(Now I just need to finish the DNS part of it.)

Details.   Sounds like good engineering so far.   Nice going!

Yeah. The DNS part is not really difficult. It's just a question of setting up and sending out UDP packets, and then parsing the responses. Although I must admit that DNS have some bits that I'm not too happy about.

Working on building the DNS query right now. That is actually really simple. Doing the parsing will probably take a few days of work.