[HECnet] Arabic / Unicode support on VMS?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Dec 18 14:43:59 PST 2013

On 2013-12-18 23:34, Sampsa Laine wrote:
On 19 Dec 2013, at 00:20, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

  Where are the topic nazis today??!

My bet is on someone slipping BQT some Xanax in his Latte..

Just as an FYI. I don't drink coffee. I also don't drink alcohol. I do, however, consume large amounts of Coca Cola. I've been working like crazy for a while now, and had lots of cheeze fondue last night, which I still can feel...

To get more on topic - I'm working on a name resolver for RSX right now. It's a totally awesome thing, and I only wish Unix (or even VMS) had something similar. So it resolves names. Nothing spectacular about that. But instead of having a resolv.conf, like Unix, I instead use a RESOLV$ORDER logical name to tell what kind of resolving I want. This has a comma separated list, and understands LOGICAL, FILE and DNS.

FILE uses the file "HOSTS" to lookup IP address and name mappings.
LOGICAL uses logical names for the mapping.
DNS uses the domain name system. (With logical names giving the address of the DNS server, as well as what domain name to use.)

So far, so good. Now, the neater part is that any user can (of course) override any part of this by having their own logical names for the resolve order, the HOSTS filename, add their own name resolutions through logical names, as well as having a different DNS server, or default domain name.

And it uses almost no memory in the user process. Instead the interface goes through the I/O system to the TCP driver, which in turn invokes a separate ACP for the name resolving, and that ACP adopts the UIC and logical name tables of the process who did the call.

Furthermore, the resolver ACP is multithreaded, and it do caching, even between different users (when applicable) and different programs.

Sorry, I just had to brag a little on how cool that is. :-)

(Now I just need to finish the DNS part of it.)