[HECnet] Arabic / Unicode support on VMS?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Dec 18 13:11:42 PST 2013

On 2013-12-18 21:28, Sampsa Laine wrote:

sampsa	<sampsa at mac.com>
mobile +44 7961 149465

On 18 Dec 2013, at 22:12, Gregg Levine <gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com> wrote:

Hello!
What's wrong with ordinary English characters, and all upper case? It
wasn't until the development of the computer, that teletypes suddenly
found themselves speaking upper and lower case.
-----

I think you'll find they're LATIN characters, derived from the Etruscans,
who got their script from the Greeks who in turn got it from Byblos, Lebanon,
AKA Jbeil. Great little town, pretty girls, good food and awesome little
corner bars in the medieval souq.

[...] who in turn got it from the Egypts... It all starts with those guys with the pyramids...

But the Greek were the first to get the vowels in. I'd say anything before that is broken. :-)

And VMS itself still expects ASCII, accepts Latin-1, and anything beyond that is outside VMS proper, and might work in specific programs and so on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_alphabet