[HECnet] Arabic / Unicode support on VMS?

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Wed Dec 18 11:47:22 PST 2013

On 18 Dec 2013, at 21:20, Dennis Boone <drb at msu.edu> wrote:

Are these encoded as four separate characters or is the renderer
meant to figure out the ligatures and render the correct form of MEEM
when presented with it from memory?

In both 8859-6 and unicode, there is one code point for the letter, and
the renderer is to figure out which form belongs at that place in the
text.

It appears that xterm isn't really able to do this.   It may also screw
up the Unicode bi-directional algorithm, since I see the Arabic
characters in L-R order.   Not sure if one could sort this out by
embedding RLE/PDF characters; my unicode entry setup is in a state of
disarray due to upgrades.

I say screw this and we all learn Phoenician and standardise on that!

Who needs vowels anyway? They're for children.