[HECnet] Writing vms boot CDROM

H Vlems hvlems at zonnet.nl
Sun Dec 1 07:57:28 PST 2013

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE [mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] Namens
Michael Holmes
Verzonden: zondag, december 2013 16:44
Aan: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Onderwerp: [HECnet] Writing vms boot CDROM

Can someone help me out with instructions on burning a VMS boot CDROM.

When I bought my first alpha, it came with an additional internal drive
with the OpenVMS 7.2 install cd copied to it.

I now have a writable CDROM drive on my Alphaserver 800 and would like to
make a install CDROM of vms 7.2 as a backup in case that old drive fails.

Sadly I've never written a CDROM under VMS (only used tape commands back
in college days).

Anyone know the relevant commands to setup the CDROM and burn it in the
right format for booting vms?

It's not the answer you've asked for, but this will work as well.
Make an image backup of your system disk to an LD device. LD is part of VMS,
perhaps not yet under V7.2. If not then visit www.digiater.nl. LD (and its
tape counterpart LT) are likely the best maintained parts of VMS these day.
Copy the LD device to a pc and burn it with the software you are familiar
with.
Hans