[HECnet] Personal DECstation 5000/25

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Thu Feb 28 23:57:39 PST 2013

> This is great!   Do you happen to have the Y2K patches?   From what I have read, 4.4 and 4.5 were issued Y2K patches.

The primary date-related patch is for the 'date' command - the kernel handles dates just find, and yes you can use the 'set time to 31st Dec 23:59' and let it roll over a year to advance the date through to 2013 if you have the patience!

I've uploaded 4.4 to http://www.wickensonline.co.uk/OpenVMS/Ultrix/UltrixRiscAndUwsV4.4SuppUnsuppBootUpgradeMarch1994.iso.gz
Username: openvms, password: uptime

I will upload the layered products as/when I get time.

I'm due to give http://slave.hecnet.eu a run up today which contains all my patches - I'll send another email with a link to the Ultrix patches directory. I do have the original disk so will try and find the time to take a scan of the top, but I've been saying that about the whole collection for quite a while now!

However, I haven't been completely sitting on my hands ;)
Last year I wrote a good portion of a java web application which is able to apply semantic web techniques for searching the DECUS archive. This is a great resource for code examples in many of the VMS-supported programming languages. So far I have classified most of the VMS-specific file types using the Java 7 custom mime-type hook and am now able, for example, to search for DCL files within the DECUS archive for a specific lexical call. My plan is to extend this to system library calls for all common calling standard languages. The cataloging side is done I just need to add some umph to the results (hyperlinking everything together).

Regards, Mark.