[HECnet] Fwd: Virtual Cisco North American hub?

Ian McLaughlin ian at platinum.net
Sat Feb 23 22:44:29 PST 2013

BGP is a distance-vector protocol, DECnet/ISIS is link state,
completely different set of tools.

Agreed.   However, DECNET does have a metric - cost - which we can manipulate in any way we want.   We can use it as a proxy for distance.

If my AS is peering with your AS, I can send you "deaggregated routes
with comunity "do not export" and attach my IGP metrics (and policy)
and send that to you with MED.

In BGP between ASes for econimical reasons you do closest exit to the
peer, so traffic is assumetric, you can listen to MED but if both
sides does it we might be back to assymetric routes.

So in "real world" buisiness polcy is implemented with BGP.

In the real world, I want to get traffic to you off my network as soon as possible.

With DECnet routing or ISIS L1/L2 you have much less of a tols, and
you can not filter prefixes.

The only thing I was trying to do was to suggest, if we want to make a
backboone of hubs, they better be in the same area.

I don't think anyone is suggesting a backbone (although that's interesting).   All I'm suggesting is a peering point.

I saw a bunch of messages in this theread that I think are related to
MTU, the router-tunnel interface has to match the path MTU or things
like routing vectors for high node-numbers will be truncated..

I though that DECnet's maximum packet size was 576?   As long as the path MTU is bigger than this, it shouldn't mangle the DECnet packets, should it?

Ian

-p

Ian