[HECnet] Alpha Emulators for OS X

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Feb 16 23:41:48 PST 2013

On 02/17/2013 02:38 AM, Dan B wrote:
Heh.   C'mon.   It's a GIGANTIC commercial platform.   People who aren't
porting to OS X now will be porting to OS X later.

Dave, I would not be so sure. I'm more inclined to think that Apple
may bail out entirely from that market, like HP seems to be
evaluating, for Apple, the iLine of gadgets is the bread and butter.

  Could be, we'll see.

For now if you "have to" run on OSX, I would stick to VAX, on Simh and
GXEmul, both supported, the future may bring better news and options,
QEMU-KVM maybe one.

  "Have to"?   I've never understood that particular concept in
computing.   Nobody tells me what to run, ever.

  But either way...OS X is becoming easier to port to, but more
difficult at the same time...the latter only for developers who lack
discipline.   On one hand, it's becoming more "standard" UNIX-like, while
on the other, they keep adding these weird proprietary extensions.

  Let's just say I dumped OS X after 10.6 for some very good reasons. ;)