[HECnet] TCP/IP experts?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Feb 16 17:21:29 PST 2013

On 2013-02-17 02:14, Clem Cole wrote:

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net
<mailto:b4 at gewt.net>> wrote:

      The GNU project would never borrow userspace code.

Careful here -- a lot of the original Gnu code was borrowed.   Gnu Emacs
was a rewrite Goslings (CMU) Emacs.

Well, to be honest Gosling's Emacs is just a rewrite of the TENEX TECO Emacs, which returns us back to RMS again...
(And I was never very fond of Gosmacs with it's Mocklisp. Pretty awful.)
:-)

Simply, there is a bunch of the Gnu original code that has hazy
provenance.     Sadly, I have been part of the some the torts associated
with some of these.   But no one should try to say they are holier than
anyone else.

That said, my experience is that by the 1990s the Gnu project was better
about understanding provenance, but in the 1970s and 1980s, they took
what ever they could get.

The GNU Project didn't even exist in the 70s, exce  t perhaps in the brain of RMS. I remember when the GNU Manifesto came out.
(The GNU Project was started in 1983 now that I checked up on it.)

However, I was expecting someone to bring up the question of what GNU have to do with this. We're talking about the TCP/IP of Linux. Linux is a project of Linus Thorvalds. Still not part of GNU. -)