[HECnet] TCP/IP experts?

John Wilson wilson at dbit.com
Fri Feb 15 17:15:09 PST 2013

From: Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se>

But is there any sane reason
why Linux would SYN-ACK twice, and the second one more than a second
after the first.

Completely stupid theory:   last time I did any testing with Linux, it seemed
that it would *always* lose the very first packet sent to a given local
IP address, because it would send an ARP request instead and then forget
why it asked (i.e. drop the outgoing frame since it depended, IMHO wrongly,
on the higher-level protocol to time out and resend).   Maybe they fixed
that bug twice?   I.e. did a workaround to send the SYN+ACK twice, and then
later did the *real* bug fix to maintain a queue of packets waiting for an
ARP reply, so now you get two?   Seems silly but this would be the result.

John Wilson
D Bit