[HECnet] LQA system ID message

Sat Feb 16 13:45:26 PST 2013

On Feb 15, 2013, at 9:24 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:

On 2013-02-16 03:03, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:
The thing to do would be to see what happens if you load some multicast address (such as broadcast) into slot 0 of the 16-entry address match table, and the station address into slot 1.   For a QNA, that's perfectly fine because all slots are equivalent and the device doesn't do any MOP.   It may be that this was a later restriction that RSTS didn't obey.   Or it may be a bad assumption in the real LQA that wasn't documented -- or maybe it's just a bad assumption in the SIMH emulation.   I haven't yet looked for LQA manuals to give more clues.

Ah. I thought you had already checked documentation.

Well, I did now, and simh is right. Page 3-31 of the DELQA manual states that the first address is used as the source address for system ID messages.

Which edition?   I'm looking at EK-DELQA-UG-002 (from Bitsavers) and it can't find anything like that.

So I guess RSTS/E just sets it up wrong.

More precisely, RSTS/E is written to DEQNA specs, which don't constrain which address goes where.

I guess I should see about constructing a patch for this.

	paul