[HECnet] LQA system ID message

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 12:15:34 PST 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
On 02/15/2013 08:53 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
I was watching the MOP Console system ID messages from DECnet/E on
simh, with an emulated LQA.   Noticed something odd: the source address
was broadcast.   That's not valid, of course.   The question is why that
happened.

The answer is that the emulation uses the address in slot 0 of the
address filter as the source address.   The hardware doesn't care what
order the addresses go in as far as filtering is concerned; DECnet/E
puts broadcast in slot 0 and the physical address in slot 1, followed
by any multicast addresses.

Is the SIMH behavior also what a real LQA does?   That would be an
interesting DECnet/E bug if so...   Or does a real LQA just use the
physical address, as a UNA would?

Hi, Paul. Sorry for not responding sooner. Busy, as usual. However, I
did mark this for some later investigation. However, I now realize that
it's not trivial for me to test, as it would appear a RSTS/E system
would help. :-)
I honestly don't know how a real LQA do. Maybe John Wilson knows more,
since he have been digging into these kind of questions way more than
most people I know...

Or else if you have some realistic suggestion on how I would test this
on my machine, as I do have a 11/93 with a real LQA here (although an
LQA plus).

  I can provide access to my RSTS/E machine with a DELQA if that would
be helpful.

Hello!
Only if the occupants next to the machine who happened to be needing
it to keep warm mean. Just six cats of both sizes.

But what's that big hairy something else doing outside your place?
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com