[HECnet] Galaxy questions

Kari Uusim ki uusimaki at exdecfinland.org
Fri Feb 15 07:57:23 PST 2013

On 15.2.2013 15:45, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> writes:

Does Galaxy with hard partitions let you run different OSes or are you
limi= ted to VMS?

Galaxy is an OpenVMS technology.   Hard partition is the technology within
the console firmware.   It *may* be possible to run different OSs using the
hard partitioning (I never tried it or even thought to) but you wouldn't
be able to do things Galaxy provides such as CPU migration.   Regardless,
you cannot do it on an ES40.   You'd need one of the GS class systems.

It is possible to run different OS's on different hard partitions. I've done that personally on Alpha GS-series machines (using VMS and Tru64) and Integrity rx7xxx, rx8xxx and Superdomes (using VMS and HP-UX).

But then there aren't any shared resources like Brian said. Hard partitioning means really that a machine can be split into completely independent partitions so that there is no way to interact with the other partitions through the HW. Only external connections are possible.

In any case the manual is good reading to get a picture about what partitioning and Galaxy means in real life. The marketing material might give you a too dizzy picture about it.

Kari