[HECnet] Galaxy questions

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Fri Feb 15 05:19:43 PST 2013

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kari_Uusim=E4ki?= <uusimaki at exdecfinland.org> writes:

Yes, an ES40 can be configured as a Galaxy node.

In a Galaxy there are two (or more in bigger machines) "logical" nodes
(Instances) which run separately, but can also share resources like CPUs
so that the CPUs can be moved from each instance to the other.

Shortest definition: cluster in a box with shared memory serving as the
cluster interconnect.   DLM traffic just wizzes by in a Galaxy.

You need a license called GALAXY, which is unfortunately not among the
Hobbyist licenses.

I thought HP were proving all sort of OpenVMS license PAK options for the
hobbyist.   I guess I'll have to register as one and see what they are now
offering.   My systems *do* all have OPENVMS-GALAXY PAKs; too bad hobbyist
don't get them too.   I wonder if a plea to the HP Hobbyist program would
change this?

Why don't you read the manual to get a picture about Galaxy and its
functionality. It might be easier to discuss the matter then.
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732FINAL/aa-rezqe-te/aa-rezqe-te.PDF

Yes, R-TFM.   Save for some SRM variables, init and lpinit, and configuring
OpenVMS for Galaxy (usually, a question early in the installation/upgrade
process of OpenVMS but a quick trek through SYSGEN/SYSMAN to set aside the
memory for its shared -- galactic -- memory and setting the parameter to
enable Galaxy) I don't see anything preclude a Galaxy other than licensing
requirements.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG