[HECnet] Galaxy questions

Kari Uusim ki uusimaki at exdecfinland.org
Fri Feb 15 00:06:36 PST 2013

On 15.2.2013 9:29, Gregg Levine wrote:
On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 2:04 AM, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons
<jg at jordi.guillaumes.name> wrote:
This sounds like the zSeries LPARs

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons
Barcelona - Catalunya - Europa

El 15/02/2013, a les 7:56, Kari Uusim  ki <uusimaki at exdecfinland.org> va escriure:
In a Galaxy there are two (or more in bigger machines) "logical" nodes (Instances) which run separately, but can also share resources like CPUs so that the CPUs can be moved from each instance to the other.

Hello!
Yes and no. Yes there are two or more CPUs inside there. No its not
like the Lpars that the zSeries supports, in that case there is
support stuff to properly enable the logical partitioning of the
system. Both hardware and software.

However they are being strongly discouraged. The SEs are trying to
convince people to go the guest approach instead.

However Kari Uusim  ki is quite correct that the Galaxy configuration
is not part of the hobbyist load. It is something that would need to
be purchased along with a professional license for VMS.

And please don't ask how I know all of that.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com

.

I'm just curious to know which approach is discouraged, the Galaxy or the hard partitioning. I guess it is the former, because it is closer to the guest approach.

Anyhow, if someone wants to run several instances of VMS on Alpha, only Galaxy and hard partitioning is available as there aren't a guest system on Alpha.

The guest approach on I64 is the new kid on the block and as it is more like VMware it seems to be more favored. As I haven't tried out the guest approach, I'm not aware of its good and bad parts. One disadvantage IMO is that there has to be HP-UX involved.

Kari