[HECnet] BTW, Peter..

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Feb 12 12:59:30 PST 2013

On 2013-02-12 21:44, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 02/12/2013 03:41 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
So why is anyone (Dave) buying their service?

      I'm buying their service because it's the best service I can get
here.   (and it's significantly better than the best I could get in
either Florida or DC, at least when I lived there)   And it's cheaper by
about 30% than what I had in Florida, though that was not a
consideration, as my connectivity is my livelihood.   As a bonus, for
that 30% discount, I have more than twice the bandwidth and far, far
better reliability. (I was on Sprint business class in Florida)

      I am 100% happy with Comcast Business.   They are a class act. (with
the exception of that routing hole, which I will investigate!)   Please
keep in mind that this is NOT the same organization, business model, or
staff as the consumer-grade shared cable network service.   (There's
fiber to the pole outside my building!)

You guys are funny...

    ??

Yes. Talking about comcast blocking ports, dynamic IP addresses and all that stuff. It is Comcast that is being blocked.

You totally missed Peters point. It is *Comcast* who do not have access
to the whole internet, not the other way around. Comcast can't do
anything about it. Comcast is blacklisted by some parts of the Internet.
If you want access to those parts of the Internet you need to switch to
another ISP, which actually do have access to all of it.

Comcast is not blocking something for you. Comcast do not have access,
and thus can't sell it either. Comcast probably did not tell you, or any
other customer, that you will only be able to access parts of the
Internet through them. Ask for a refund, or go somewhere else...? I
doubt Comcast will suddenly be able to speak to Stupi.SE within any
forseeable future.

    I thought it was a matter of Comcast not having BGP peering agreements
with some other backbone carriers.   Is that not the case?

As far as I know, no. However, I'll let Peter expand on that, if he cares to.

But Comcast might also have BGP issues. I don't know. But if that was the case, I would have thought that it would just have to route through some it do have agreements with, and get to the end destination anyway, even if not through the best possible paths... Or else I missed something more. :-)