[HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Feb 13 17:01:02 PST 2013

On 02/13/2013 07:58 PM, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:
There are faster network interfaces for VAXen, just not Ethernet.
It still wouldn't be an "apples to apples" comparison, but it'd be
closer.

True -- FDDI would fit the bill.   The hard part is finding the
infrastructure.   And while FDDI to 10 Mb/s Ethernet bridges are
common enough, FDDI to fast Ethernet is probably harder to find.
(I'm not sure what DEC products, if any, offer that.   Gigaswitch,
perhaps?)

  The only thing I've ever found that would bridge FDDI to Ethernet
*well* was the Cisco Catalyst family.   It's easy to go FDDI<->100Mbps
Ethernet with that hardware.