[HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Feb 13 13:27:19 PST 2013

On 2013-02-13 20:47, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons wrote:

El 13/02/2013, a les 18:57, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> va escriure:

Which is silly in it self. Why even search the node database? After all, the MOP request holds all the information needed to serve it. RSX don't do a lookup at a boot request. It just serves it.

But even so, it is surprising that even a fairly modern VAX can't keep up with a PDP-11 here.

Funny thing: a real VAX (VS 4000/60) can't keep up with an EMULATED PDP-11 running in a Raspberry Pi ;) I had to disable service in the emulated PDPs or else they tried to serve the OS to my 4000/90 ;)

That would be less surprising. An emulated PDP-11 is much faster than a real one. :-)

However, the PDP-11 (atleast if it is running RSX) will not serve a VAX 4000. It's a rather stupid policy decision that RSX refuses to boot general stuff over MOP, but only actually boots specific types of devices, that are kept in a list. (Another thing to fix...)
By default that list don't even include the DECserver 300, so I have a patch for that.