[HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Wed Feb 13 11:57:23 PST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE
[mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Jordi
Guillaumes i Pons
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 14:47
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: Re: [HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

El 13/02/2013, a les 18:57, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se>
va escriure:

Which is silly in it self. Why even search the node
database? After all, the MOP request holds all the
information needed to serve it. RSX don't do a lookup at a
boot request. It just serves it.

But even so, it is surprising that even a fairly modern VAX
can't keep up with a PDP-11 here.

Funny thing: a real VAX (VS 4000/60) can't keep up with an
EMULATED PDP-11 running in a Raspberry Pi ;) I had to disable
service in the emulated PDPs or else they tried to serve the
OS to my 4000/90 ;)

Really?   Are you sure that does not have more to do with the fact that
the VAX only has a 10M NIC where as the Raspberry Pi has a 10/100 NIC.
I have not clocked the virtual 11/83 on my RPI but the virtual VAX runs
at about 1.6 VUPs.   That would put it in the VAX-11/785 class - ie not
all that fast...

-Steve

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons
jg at jordi.guillaumes.name