[HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

Wed Feb 13 11:39:09 PST 2013

On Feb 13, 2013, at 12:57 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:

On 2013-02-13 18:52, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:

On Feb 13, 2013, at 11:12 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
Fun detail: when devices want to MOP boot on a network where you have both a VAX and a PDP-11, the PDP-11 normally ends up serving the image, since it responds much faster than the VAX.

That's because the VMS MOP server did its lookup for a match in the node database by a linear search.   I never could convince the engineer responsible for that code to use a better algorithm.

Which is silly in it self. Why even search the node database? After all, the MOP request holds all the information needed to serve it. RSX don't do a lookup at a boot request. It just serves it.

I thought at least primary boot requests tend to just say "help me" so you need a lookup to find the name of the file to load.

	paul