[HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Feb 12 12:54:53 PST 2013

On 2013-02-12 18:38, Clem Cole wrote:

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM, <Paul_Koning at dell.com
<mailto:Paul_Koning at dell.com>> wrote:

      Nothing.   It was one of the most spectacular failures in DEC
      history.   A whole new OS (well, based on RSX I believe) and new
      hardware designed specifically for it (VT62), canceled a week after
      it was first announced.

Interesting, I always though the 11/60 held that honor.

Nope. The 11/60 wasn't a big flop. It wasn't a success, admittedly, but it did sell in some numbers. (I at one time, had four 11/60 machines to play with in a computer club, and I still have a complete CPU board set for an 11/60 - no WCS though.)

The limited success of the 11/60 was due to the totally incomprehensible decision to go for 11/34 feature parity at a time when the 11/70 had already set the future standard.

But apart from that stupidity, it was a rather nice machine, in a very nice package.