[HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Feb 12 10:04:06 PST 2013

Yup the 11/60 had WCS, although few customers used it.    CMU/3 Rivers had created the 40e with a WCS, and wrote a call/return instruction for C.    We had a hacked UNIX to use it.    When I was at Tek, Steve Glaser and I toyed with trying to write the uCode for the 60 to do the same thing to try to buy some more performance (it was the first UNIX box at Tek and  quickly got overloaded), but we never did - as we replaced it with an 11/70.

The 60 also was known for the confuse uCode instructions and since the front panel was run by the uCode the only solution was the pull the power to halt it.

Clem