[HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Feb 11 13:41:53 PST 2013

On 02/11/2013 04:38 PM, Mark Benson wrote:
You know DEC, they loved supporting legacy products almost into
oblivion.

Yes, for GOOD products

As much as I'd like to agree, it didn't necessarily work that way
round. It was more a case of 'is someone important still using this?
Then we best not ditch them or it'll look awfully bad... and they'll
go and buy an IBM/DataGeneral/etc.' :)

  Of course...but this was one of those rare cases in which doing what
was best for business interests also did what was best for the
technological world. ;)

NT on Alpha was an utter failure by every metric.

But people may still have relied on it on some bastard corner of the
world, thus they still supported it. Long after it should have died a
fiery death, by all accounts.

  Yeah. :-(

I mean, when did they stop officially supporting PDP themselves?

Supporting I don't know, but the last PDP-11 to roll off the
assembly line did so on 9/30/1996. (see "good products" above)

That I won't argue with. That reminds me, I need to get my PDP-11
emulation back up and running. I'm actually missing using RSX-11 M+
(there's something wrong with me, I swear. It's Johnny's fault! :P
).

  EVERYTHING is Johnny's fault. ;)   Bring up that PDP-11! (even if it's
not real iron!)