[HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Feb 11 13:14:14 PST 2013

On 02/11/2013 04:11 PM, Steve Davidson wrote:
The only reason it failed in the market place was what Compaq did/didn't
do with/for it.   CAD/CAM on the first Alphas was amazing.   Intel had
nothing that could keep up with it.   Compaq did not know how to market
it and it fell into the abyss.   Shame too - DEC knew how to deal with
interrupts - something that Intel still does not know how to deal with.

  The people I moved off of it did so due to the almost complete lack of
software, and the instability.   Their application targets were network
services. (I was with a networking company at the time)