[HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Mon Feb 11 13:11:01 PST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE
[mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Dave McGuire
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2013 16:02
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: Re: [HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

On 02/11/2013 03:58 PM, Mark Benson wrote:
That's frightening.   They stopped pushing it as a viable
platform in
like 1994.   The last place I saw it deployed (not that there were
many) was gone by 1995.

Either way, though, NT on Alpha was very much a "first generation
Alphas" thing, and the ES family is a "last generation
Alphas" thing.
I'd be shocked if it even came close to booting on a 21264-class
processor.   ...which means I'm utterly shocked to hear of any DS20
support at all.

Well I learned something today. ;)

You know DEC, they loved supporting legacy products almost
into oblivion.

  Yes, for GOOD products...NT on Alpha was an utter failure
by every metric.

I mean, when did they stop officially supporting PDP themselves?

  Supporting I don't know, but the last PDP-11 to roll off
the assembly line did so on 9/30/1996. (see "good products" above)

The only reason it failed in the market place was what Compaq did/didn't
do with/for it.   CAD/CAM on the first Alphas was amazing.   Intel had
nothing that could keep up with it.   Compaq did not know how to market
it and it fell into the abyss.   Shame too - DEC knew how to deal with
interrupts - something that Intel still does not know how to deal with.

-Steve