[HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Tue Feb 12 17:15:51 PST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE
[mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Johnny Billquist
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 15:48
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Cc: lee.gleason at comcast.net
Subject: Re: [HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

On 2013-02-12 17:18, lee.gleason at comcast.net wrote:

Speaking of IAS, it really looks cool when reading specs,
but I've
never   >touched it, and another aspect of those specs is
that it looks
like it   >would be rather slow...

    I managed an IAS system on an 11/70 back in the day. I
don't have
any formal benchmarks, but it didn't "feel" any slower than
equivalent
RSX11M and M+ systems I have been on.

Cool. The reason I mentioned it because of just such things
as you mention below - device drivers being full blown tasks
do imply quite a lot more overhead.

    IAS was a real treat. If you wanted them, you could
SYSGEN in real
timesharing features for supporting users who didn't
require realtime
response to their needs. It included lots of concepts   that
later made
their way into VMS, (although, considering this crowd, I
don't know if
that will be considered a plus here...).

Well, I for one don't mind VMS, even if I think RSX is way
cooler most of the time.

    The most interesting feature for me was the way device drivers
worked. Called "handlers", they were complete tasks, instead of the
APR and a couple registers' worth of context provided by
RSX11M/M+ drivers.
You could do a lot more work in them, a lot easier than on
the other
RSX variants. The down side is that any driver action involved
scheduling a task rather than the lightweight context
switch required by a driver.
But, having said that, the system I managed supported lots
and lots of
terminals at 9600 baud, and wasn't bogged down by servicing
interrupts, so scheduling a task to do IO didn't turn out as bad as
you'd think it would.

Yeah. After having done a lot of device drivers and stuff in
-11M+, I sometimes long for the freedom of a task context.
That's when you go diving into ACPs, but it would be nicer if
the driver was a task in itself.

    I managed RSTS sytstems as well and I vastly preferred
the richer
environment provide by IAS. I recall being at the DECUS Symposium
where the future of IAS was announced (that is, no
future...). There
was much lamentation, gnashing of teeth and rending of
garments over that.
Support did actually continue for quite a few years after
that though
- turns out that the US Air Force was a   big IAS user, and
DEC didn't
want to upset the government.

    BTW, I'm always looking for IAS related "stuff" - copies of the
DeVIAS newsletter, IAS software (espcially DECnet-IAS) and the like.

I believe IAS never went to Mentec, but actually stayed with
DEC, for the very same reason (although I also heard that
supposedly it was IRS, but urban legends are probably abundant).

IAS-11 never went to Mentec.   Too many government accounts (both US and
others).

-Steve

Never seen TRAX in real life either, btw. What was so
good about it?

    Me neither, though I did use some of the VT61 and VT62 terminals
that were developed for it - like VT-52s, but with IBM style block
mode. Not a lot of software outside of TRAX used their block mode
features, so they were pretty rare.

The VT61... The VT62 was a different beast, and I had one for
many years... It's basically a VT52 with inverse video attribute.