[HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Tue Feb 12 16:56:50 PST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE
[mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Johnny Billquist
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2013 19:21
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Cc: Paul_Koning at Dell.com
Subject: Re: [HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

On 2013-02-11 22:43, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:

On Feb 11, 2013, at 4:38 PM, Mark Benson wrote:

On 11 Feb 2013, at 21:02, Dave McGuire wrote:

You know DEC, they loved supporting legacy products
almost into oblivion.

Yes, for GOOD products

As much as I'd like to agree, it didn't necessarily work that way
round. It was more a case of 'is someone important still
using this?
Then we best not ditch them or it'll look awfully bad...
and they'll
go and buy an IBM/DataGeneral/etc.' :)

Not even that.   For example, shortly after the 11/780 was
announced, there was a definite (and, as I recall, explicitly
stated) push to drop all PDP-11 support ASAP.

For that matter, when IAS was announced, RSTS customers
were told that IAS was the future and they should move there
right away.   Not long after that, IAS was recognized for the
boat anchor it was, and it remained an obscure niche product.

So DEC definitely had a history of angering customers by
attempting to drop support for products that were very much
alive and in some cases superior to the alleged replacement.

Of course, they sometimes did get it right, as in the example of
TRAX... :-)

Is this the time I should mention the PDP-10? Talk about
making customers angry... :-)

Speaking of IAS, it really looks cool when reading specs, but
I've never touched it, and another aspect of those specs is
that it looks like it would be rather slow...

I used to support IAS-11.   It ran just fine.   Most installations were on
PDP-11/70's with full memory.   BTW - the NSA and the EPA really liked
it!   They were the two largest customers in the US.   I was the primary
support person for both agencies.   Other groups outside the US were
mostly government based.

-Steve

Never seen TRAX in real life either, btw. What was so good about it?