PDP-10s, was Re: [HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Feb 12 12:42:43 PST 2013

On 2013-02-12 07:17, G. wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 01:47:06 +0100, you wrote:

What did you plan to run? Is DECnet even possible if you run TOPS-20? I
seem to remember MRC mumbling at one time about him having hacked that,
but I'm not sure if it ever became officially supported or distributed.

Tops-10 might work with DECnet, but then I also wonder over which
interface, and if it do Phase IV...?

Both TOPS-10 and TOPS-20 have DECnet Phase IV in newer releases, but, if I'm
not wrong, Ethernet support at large is a KL10 thing only, so the only KS10
option for DECnet would be DDCMP, but it should anyway run Phase IV (as long
as there is enough memory, so maybe better stick to end node only).

There is a problem with software: if I'm not wrong (again!), TOPS-20 on KS10
is limited to V4.1 (due to memory contraints?), instead I think that the same
CPU would run TOPS-10 up to the final V7.x releases. Note that probably (?)
TOPS-20 V4.1 had only Phase III, so Phase IV on 2020 seems to be available
only with TOPS-10 and DDCMP.

HTH, :)
G.

Right. This is somewhat what I seem to remember, which is why I asked...