PDP-11 arch & OS ownership, was Re: [HECnet] NT 4 on AlphaServer es40

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Feb 11 17:31:56 PST 2013

On 2013-02-12 02:08, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 02/11/2013 08:00 PM, Brett Bump wrote:
Mentec continued on for about 10 years, and then disappeared in a puff
of smoke. However, during those 10 years (take or give a few), first
DEC, then Compaq then HP continued to support and sell PDP-11
software, even though Mentec was the guys owning and developing.

When Mentec Inc. did disappear, the software bits were bought out by
another company. And that is where it sits today. If we could get HP
to actually release the IP for this software, then maybe something
hobbyist-like could happen, but as it sits right now, HP control bits
and pieces, making it a very complex situation. I'm not sure if you
can still contact HP and get a new license for RSX, but it might be.
But getting anyone to legally release the stuff seems difficult. :-(

It was a UK firm (Calyx).   Peter Dick was going to see if he could find a
contact there to untangle some of the mess.   At least that was in our last
discussions on the matter (and that was April 15, 2009).   No word since
then.

    I believe that after Calyx, XX2247 LLC (recognize that?) bought the
rights.   No other info on that yet.

Hmm. I've never heard of Calyx before, but it might just be because I don't know all the details.

Anyway, XX2247 LLC (thanks, I wrote ltd in my last mail) is the current owners. And that company is located in Colorado.