[HECnet] VS4000/90: Up and running!

Dennis Boone drb at msu.edu
Fri Feb 8 13:00:17 PST 2013

Now I'm not sure about the state of the (by now) working chip. Buying to
chinese traders via ebay has its risks :). On the other hand, I have
improvised a testbench for the chips using an arduino, and I see the
"damaged" ones _can_ keep the time-of-day, even if them are reporting as
"faulty" (VRT bit in register D reads as zero).

It's a lot easier to grind your way in to the potted battery and replace
it with something accessible in a holder _before_ you put the chip into
the machine. :)

I have one of those blasted chips soldered to the nigh-unreplaceable CPU
board of a Prime 5340.   Dead battery of course.

Now how you get the "valid" bit to come back on I dunno.

De