[HECnet] Joining HECNET

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Feb 1 15:43:19 PST 2013

On 2013-02-01 22:52, hvlems at zonnet.nl wrote:
On a LAN without *any* DECnet routers all nodes are reachable irrespective of their DECnet address.
Once the first router comes on-line the mechanism fails.

Right.

HECnet is not running out of areas. But I feel it's pretty useless tot "claim" anarea for just 10 hosts.

We are getting close. We have currently allocated 39 areas out of 63.

The bridge program simulates a LAN and I feel that on a single LAN area routing may have its uses but not necessarily for us.
And even the routed links don't need to separate areas. That why level 1 routing exists.
Basically all our nodes fit in one area, perhaps 2.

In reality, all nodes known in HECnet fits without one area. For administrative purposes it makes a lot of sense to have more than one area, however.

But really, for people who only have a bunch of machines, and are happy running just endnodes, we really should just put that one in an existing area. Reserve something like 50 hosts at a time for such "subsections", and run with it. That's what I've done in area 1.

	Johnny

Hans.