[HECnet] DMC11 in next simh version... looks nice, and question about TOPS-10

G. gerry77 at mail.com
Thu Jan 3 03:46:07 PST 2013

On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 10:13:04 +0100, you wrote:

Well, tried it:
[...]
?LNKUGS	7 undefined global symbols
	NTFONC	456353
	GIVSTC	456516
	NTDPRV	460114
	GETSTC	456543
	NTONPJ	456373
	NTFSEC	456354
	PCBPCV	461503

Perhaps I might have found a solution. I seem to remember that once I read
something somewhere (maybe on alt.sys.pdp10) about certain cases in which
ANF-10 support couldn't be excluded even if unneeded. So I tried a build with
it and I obtained NO undefined symbols. I have no way to test the resulting
monitor, but maybe it could work. BTW, I noticed that even with those seven
undefined symbols the executable file got created anyway, so maybe they are
not really needed for the monitor to work... I Don't know.

Here is the full transcription of my attempt (some values are obviously just
placeholders for better chosen ones):

> [...]
| Guaranteed number of pages for unlocked jobs (0,0-16384) : 10
| Number of pages reserved for locking jobs in Exec Virtual Memory (10,0-?):50
| Number of high priority interrupt queues (0,0-15): 15
| Meter (NO,YES) :
| KASER (NO,YES) :
| MPXSER (YES,NO) :
| PSISER (YES,NO) :
| IPCF (YES,NO) :
| ENQ/DEQ (YES,NO) :
| Disk sets (ALL) :
| Configure non-autoconfigured hardware (NO,YES) :
| Number of KMC/DUP Lines (0,0-2) : 1
| Type of line for KDP0 (ANF10,DECNET,USER,IBM) : decnet
| Number of PTYs (20,1-500) :
|
| Network software (YES,NO) :
| Node name : test
| Number of remote TTYs (480,0-480) :
|
| ANF-10 software (YES,NO) :
|     Node name (TEST) :
|     Node number of central site (1,1-77) :
|     Remote terminals (YES,NO) : no
|     Remote card readers (YES,NO) : no
|     Remote line printers (YES,NO) : no
|     Remote paper tape punches (NO,YES) : no
|     Remote paper tape readers (NO,YES) : no
|     Remote plotters (NO,YES) : no
|     Remote DN8x DDCMP devices (YES,NO) : no
|     Remote data entry terminals (YES,NO) : no
|     Remote task-to-task (YES,NO) : no
|     Number of connects (256,1-512) :
|
| DECnet software (YES,NO) :
|     Node name (TEST) :
|     Area number of central site (1,1-63) :
|     Node number of central site (1,1-1023) :
|     Router type (ROUTING,NONROUTING) :
|     Transmit password (DECNET20) :
|     Remote terminals (YES,NO) :
|
| Decimal "symbol,value"
|

| Octal "symbol,value"
|

| SIXBIT "symbol,value"
|

| Type "device-mnemonic,PI-channel" for special devices
|

| Type "device-mnemonic,PI-channel,no.-of-devices"
|

| Type "device-mnemonic,PI-channel,highest-ac-to-save"
|

| Type "ersatz-device,P,Pn,search-list-type"
|

| Type "command-name,dispatch,flags,unique-bits,PRVTAB-name"
|

| Terminal class :
|
| Additional terminals for classes:
|
| Class to extend :
|
| System default terminal type (TTY) :
| File DSK:SYSCNF.MAC Closed
|
| Which GEN (SYS,F) : ^Z
|
| EXIT
|
| .COMPILE/COMPILE SYSCNF+<COMMON,COMDEV,COMMOD>
| MACRO:   COMMON
| MACRO:   COMDEV
| MACRO:   COMMOD
|
| EXIT
|
| .r link
|
| *TESTM/SAVE/NOINITIAL/HASH:13K = /LOCALS -
| #COMMON,COMDEV,COMMOD,TOPS10[10,7,MON,KS]/SEARCH-
| #/PATCH:200/COUNTERS/GO
| [LNKRLC Reloc. ctr.         initial value     current value     limit value
|                 .LOW.                     0                             72204                     340000
|                 .HIGH.                   340000                   673131                   720000
|                 .INIT.                   740000                   765112                   771000
|                 .TWIC.                   771000                   772401                   1000000

My gess was the distributed TOPS10.REL does not contain all the required
modules, so it should be rebuilt somehow. The "A" appendix in the software
installation manual is supposed to explain that, but it has not been of much
help...

No, I'm quite sure about this: as long as you build a monitor with a standard
set of features, you do not need to rebuild TOPS10.REL from scratch.

The Software Installation Guide is quite clear about that (page 9-16):

| If you are using a standard combination of feature-test switch settings and
| DIGITAL-supplied sources, you do not need to assemble the remainder of the
| bundled monitor modules. These modules have already been assembled and
| combined in a monitor library file named TOPS10.REL.
| [...]
| If you are not using a standard combination of feature-test switch settings
| or if you have made changes to the monitor sources, you must assemble all
| the monitor sources, creating a new monitor library file.

http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com/tops10v704_docc/01/10,7/docupd/sig.mem.html

Let's hope that the ANF-10 trick is enough! :)

G.