[HECnet] DMC11 in next simh version... looks nice, and question about TOPS-10

G. gerry77 at mail.com
Thu Jan 3 00:33:55 PST 2013

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 22:33:33 +0100, you wrote:

Now the question. It seems the DMC11 device is supported in the KS10
emulation. Could it be posible to use it to DECNETize (and HECNETize)
TOPS-10 over simh? I have not been able to find the docs to install
DECNET-10 in a 7.04 monitor... Any TOPS-10 hacker around? :)

Well, I've done my TOPS-10 7.04 install (plus TSU patch tapes that upgraded it
to 7.05), but I've done it on KLH10 (KL10 emulation) with Ethernet support, so
things may be somewhat different. At the time I chose KLH10 right because my
goal was to have a DECnet-10 node and that appeared (or was?) the only way.

Starting with 7.04 (or maybe even 7.03), DECnet sources are bundled with
Monitor sources and to have DECnet you just have to build a DECnet-enabled
custom Monitor (which you should build anyway).

At boot time everything starts automatically: the Monitor calls KNILDR.EXE to
load microcode into the Ethernet and then starts DECnet network service (with
help by Galaxy, except for FAL streams that are started by OPR).

There is a DECnet-10 tape, but it mostly contains software for front-end based
DECnet solutions (KL10 only), e.g. PDP-11s in disguise called DN20s and the
like. The only useful file from the DECnet tape is NML.EXE which can be found
elsewhere too. Anyway, the DECnet tape is BB-X116C-BB and is available on
Trailing Edge; there is also a newer BB-X116D-BB, which is somewhat hidden,
but can be located using the search by filename function... :P

The DECnet-10 manual I'm reading (AA-L413B-TB) says that DECnet starts at boot
time without intervention, whatever the interface used (but front-ends have to
be loaded). So, in your KS10 + DMC11 configuration all is needed seems to be a
DECnet-enabled Monitor with the right pieces to speak to that hardware.

The Software Installation Guide lists a bunch of MONGEN questions related to
DECnet on KS10s, asking for KMC/DUP or DMR hardware characteristics. A quick
Google search seems to confirm that both KMC and DMR are very similar to DMC
and software compatible with it. DMR should be a DMC enhancement/replacement.

Look for the following in Bitsavers (/dec/pdp10/TOPS10_softwareNotebooks/):

/vol20/AA-P379B-TB_TOPS-10_DECnet_and_PSI_Installation_Guide_Apr86.pdf
/vol20/AA-L413B-TB_DECnet_and_PSI_System_Managers_and_Operators_Guide_Apr86.pdf

The most updated software installation guide can be found here:

http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com/tops10v704_docc/01/10,7/docupd/sig.mem.html

HTH, :)
G.