[HECnet] LAT vs CTERM

Wed Jan 2 08:36:23 PST 2013

That makes perfect sense: LAT is designed for a LAN while CTERM is a general purpose WAN protocol.   So the surprising part is that LAT works as well as it does over a WAN.   The reason probably is that modern WANs have performance (latency, in particular) good enough to match the "LAN" expectations of LAT.

	paul

On Jan 2, 2013, at 10:51 AM, <hvlems at zonnet.nl>
wrote:

Look at it this way Sampsa: LAT degrades by a factor 3 while CTERM is better than half the performance.
LAT nor CTERM know they're travelling over an extended LAN.
So I'd think CTERM behaves better than LAT :-)
------Origineel bericht------
Van: sampsa at mac.com
Afzender: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Aan: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Beantwoorden: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Onderwerp: [HECnet] LAT vs CTERM
Verzonden: 2 januari 2013 12:20

So just for fun I did some speed experiments with CTERM and LAT using Kermit to send the same file.

WAN connection is KUHAVX (Finland) to RHESUS (UK).

CTERM
LAN:	30,000 CPS
WAN: 	16,400 CPS

LAT:
LAN:	100,000 CPS
WAN:	30,000 CPS

So LAT is as fast over a WAN link as CTERM is over a LAN..What's wrong with CTERM?

sampsa