[HECnet] LAT vs CTERM

sampsa at mac.com sampsa at mac.com
Wed Jan 2 04:12:45 PST 2013

On 2 Jan 2013, at 14:03, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:

On 2 Jan 2013, at 11:20, sampsa at mac.com wrote:

So LAT is as fast over a WAN link as CTERM is over a LAN..What's wrong with CTERM?

My understanding is LAT is a self contained ethernet-based protocol purely designed and optimised for terminal connectivity. CTERM is a command terminal application that runs on top of DECnet and works via the DECnet stack. The added layers probably, at least in part, account for the speed variation between the two.

I could see that on like Z80s running over a 9.6kbps link, but VAX level gear on a 10 Mbps ethernet LAN?

It can't be the protocol overhead alone, CTERM must be seriously brain-damaged by design.

sampsa