[HECnet] Returning to HECNET

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Wed Jan 30 11:47:39 PST 2013

On 30 Jan 2013, at 14:45, Brian Hechinger <wonko at 4amlunch.net> wrote:

On 1/29/2013 5:57 PM, Rob Jarratt wrote:
A couple of other options are:

1. Never switch off your router so that it keeps its IP address. In my case
(Virgin Media in the UK), my IP address does not change for months at a
time, and just ask Johnny (or whoever you peer to), to restart the bridge
with a new IP.
2. Persuade someone who has a fixed IP to run the user mode router, if you
register your IP with something like DynDns then the user mode router
periodically checks for a change of IP.
3. Use the upcoming SIMH emulation of the DMC11, which allows you to connect
using TCP to someone else who has a fixed IP. Again you would need to
persuade someone who has a static IP to peer with you. But the SIMH
emulation does actually do a fresh DNS lookup if the connection goes down,
so a change of IP would work in any case.

Cory, any progress on the Cisco dynamic IP thing?

Haven't had the time to poke at cisco scripting lately.   Been too busy migrating to VMWare.   I should have time later tonight.   I'll let you know my progress.

-brian

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff!