[HECnet] Returning to HECNET

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Wed Jan 30 11:45:46 PST 2013

On 1/29/2013 5:57 PM, Rob Jarratt wrote:
A couple of other options are:

1. Never switch off your router so that it keeps its IP address. In my case
(Virgin Media in the UK), my IP address does not change for months at a
time, and just ask Johnny (or whoever you peer to), to restart the bridge
with a new IP.
2. Persuade someone who has a fixed IP to run the user mode router, if you
register your IP with something like DynDns then the user mode router
periodically checks for a change of IP.
3. Use the upcoming SIMH emulation of the DMC11, which allows you to connect
using TCP to someone else who has a fixed IP. Again you would need to
persuade someone who has a static IP to peer with you. But the SIMH
emulation does actually do a fresh DNS lookup if the connection goes down,
so a change of IP would work in any case.

Cory, any progress on the Cisco dynamic IP thing?

-brian