[HECnet] Mail gateways?

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Wed Jan 30 06:10:26 PST 2013

Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com> writes:

On 30 Jan 2013, at 14:55, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com> writes: > > > Back when I worked in one
of my Uncle Sam's DoD research labs, all email > was handled on the VMS
cluster and distributed to other mail servers and > clients in the labs.
PMDF was the engine used there for this task.   If > you don't
anticipate HUGE volume of email, even MX could do this and MX > is
freeware.

So MX can do the subdomain -> decnet node name conversion?

Why not?   Use its rewrite rules.

Assume there is a HECnet.net domain and that all nodenames are used as
hostnames in a FQDN.   The mail handler node is called PMASTR or TCP/IP
hame of postmaster.HECnet.net.

MCP> DEFINE REWRITE_RULE "<{user}@{host}.HECnet.net>" -
_MCP> "<""{host}::{user}""@postmaster.HECnet.net>"

I need to check here but you might even be able to use:

_MCP> "<""{host}::{user}""@localhost>"

...but this might hork up replies.   For more elaborate schemes, MX is
capable of rewriting using *IX-style regular expressions with /REGEX
on the 'DEFINE REWRITE_RULE' command.

For the reverse (outgoing and replies), configure the DN_SMTP server
which is SMTP over DECnet.

MX has alias translation, mailing list features and other delivery
agents such as X25, UUCP and a SITE interface.   The latter allows a
customizable interface to other applications running on its host.   I
once used it to interface to a trouble report (user support) system
and I use it today to provide customers with access to a temporary
licence (PAK) generator for software trials.

In addition, I know the MX developers quite well. ;)

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG