[HECnet] Mail gateways?

Tim Sneddon tim at sneddon.id.au
Wed Jan 30 05:51:41 PST 2013

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 07:55:53 -0500
"Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <system at TMESIS.COM> wrote:

Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com> writes:

On 30 Jan 2013, at 11:25, Mark Wickens wrote:

On 30/01/2013 05:45, Sampsa Laine wrote: >> On 30 Jan 2013, at
06:23,
Ian McLaughlin wrote: >> >>> Chimpy.   Sorry for the autocorrect on
your name below - just noticed :) >>> >> Oh cool, glad to know
someone finds it useful. >> >> sampsa >> >> >> > I probably mumbled
at one time about setting up a gateway via the 'hecnet.eu' domain -
alas I don't have the technical skills to do this, but there is a
24/7 VAX SIMH instance running behind that domain that could easily
be used to run a gateway. >
Regards, Mark.

The subdomain -> machine mapping would be cool, maybe some other MTA
like PMDF (or whatever it's called) oculd handle it?

Back when I worked in one of my Uncle Sam's DoD research labs, all
email was handled on the VMS cluster and distributed to other mail
servers and clients in the labs.   PMDF was the engine used there for
this task.   If you don't anticipate HUGE volume of email, even MX
could do this and MX is freeware.

I have used MX at sites that receive quite a decent amount of mail and
have been quite impressed with the performance.   Although, I'm biased...

Regards, Tim.
MX Maintainer