[HECnet] Tape drive explosion

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 04:28:57 PST 2013

On 25 Jan 2013, at 10:41, Kari Uusim  ki <uusimaki at exdecfinland.org> wrote:

I don't know why the DSSI interface was dropped, but I guess the SCSI drives sold better especially to the Alpha customers.

This was about the time DEC sold off DLT to Quantum. As for other applications of DSSI, DEC was going through a lot of big changes in the mid-1990sresulting in them adopting a lot more industry standards, like SCSI and PCI. It was likely cheaper and more effective to adopt newer SCSI tech from QLogic, Symbios or Adaptec than develop a newer higher-speed DSSI standard. SCSI was al-round faster than DSSI also and new Fast SCSI-2 blew it away. Guess it was just progress?

--

Mark Benson