[HECnet] Tape drive explosion

Kari Uusim ki uusimaki at exdecfinland.org
Thu Jan 24 20:33:14 PST 2013

On 2013-01-24, at 2:06 AM, Kari Uusim  ki <uusimaki at exdecfinland.org> wrote:

Is the takeup leader (the plastic ribbon which is fastened to the internal reel) intact? Its outer end which grabs the tape from the cassette is arrow-shaped. Is the "arrow" quite in order? If not, the takeup leader should be replaced.

Tape leader is fine on this drive.   The problem with this cartridge is the spool inside the cartridge jammed and wouldn't rotate causing the drive to not rewind.

Ok. Cartridge failure, then. Could it have been accidentally dropped? I've seen several times DLT cartriges fail after been dropped on the floor.

You can also read a TK50 tape with a newer DLT drive like TZ85, TZ86 and TZ87.

Is this true?   According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Linear_Tape a CompacTape I can only be read by a TK50 and a TK70.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?   I have some newer generation DLT drives, but none of them admit to being backwards compatible that far.

Ian

.

I'm not sure if others than DEC branded DLT drives (TZ85,TZ86,TZ87) can read TK50 tapes, but DEC drives sure do.
Even the front of the drive has leds which indicate which formats the drive can handle.

Like Johnny said, Wikipedia articles aren't always the complete truth of the topic.

Regards,

Kari