[HECnet] Tape drive explosion

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Jan 24 15:01:35 PST 2013

Fair enough. We had DLT in our lab in MRO, but I  personally  tried to stay away from it as I  preferred  8mm and 4mm [i.e. my Alphas that I used had them and a TS08 -- although IT used Legato to DLT behind the scene.

In those days, DAT and Exabyte tapes were more portable until DEC spun the DLT group out to quantum.   But for a very long time 4mm and 8mm were a lot cheaper/meg.    I still have a couple of working 9-track, 8mm and 4mm drives, but nothing from DLT.

By the time I grew out of using tape, I switched to DVD and finally just enough RAID/JBOD with replication to not bother with tape except for readonly.