[HECnet] Multi-floor household (DECnet) routing help needed

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Thu Jan 17 12:45:07 PST 2013

On 1/17/2013 3:24 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
On 17 Jan 2013, at 15:05,hvlems at zonnet.nl   wrote:

>Two Linksys WAP54G units, that's what I'd do. The WAP54G is fairly old so may be cheap on EBay.
>But you're not a Linksys fan, are you?
No, but from what I've recently learned, MoCa is going to be a great solution and I think it's what i'm going to go with.

I ran a wifi bridge many years ago when I lived in Philly. Never worked well and then the school across the street put in a bajillion million watt APs that used EVERY FUCKING AVAILABLE CHANNEL and my bridge just stopped working completely at that point.

That's when I was introduced to MoCA. 100mbit and solid. Also, latency is much lower than wireless.

Also, very cheap (looking now, NIM100s are $15/each on ebay but I paid $5/each for mine) and at least here in the US coax is almost guaranteed to be in place in pretty much every house so you rarely even have to do any major wire pulls.

-brian