[HECnet] Resurrect VAX 4000/90

Fred fcoffey at misernet.net
Thu Jan 24 10:12:29 PST 2013

Hi all:

Have a VAX 4000/90 I've acquired (it was free).   With video card in, all memory slots populated, new Dallas chip installed (research showed it may be a dead Dallas chip, which is why this was tried), all front diag lights light up, and do not move.   No beeps, nothing.   Nothing on a connected terminal. (which I know works as it's connected to my DECServer 90M that I use for consoles and other terminal access).

I've tried with less memory, different memory, etc.

Anyone have any pointers?   Hitting the search engines hard (including finding the PDF manuals) has really come up empty on this specific set of circumstances.

I am hoping this isn't too far OT - I could post on c.o.v. but I think it's less of a "tiger pit" here. :)   (Apologies to anyone on the list that also posts to c.o.v, *chuckle*)

Thanks,

Fred

----
Lets call it for what it is - "legacy" is a term that people use in a
polite but derogatory manner to imply that the future direction they
prefer is not that which they view as the current direction.