[HECnet] Sort of off-topic, co-locating area 8

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 04:16:38 PST 2013

On 1/23/2013 6:49 AM, Brett Bump wrote:

I think Dave has a few extra neurons to spare.   And if he can't get these back they must be core instead of dynamic.   I think I'll see if we can get him to exhibit a RSTS "?Program lost, sorry" message.

I still have 2 DECServer 3300's (Alpha's) that I installed NT4 TSE on some time back before the turn of the century.   Dastardly slow, but the only platform I had at the time at home to practice on to get Citrix certified.

They really ran FreeBSD nice though, and since I had loaded 4 drives in each one, I think I also had copies of NetBSD and Linux (loaded via Milo).
I wish they had been able to run VMS, alas they were the white elephants.
They wouldn't run FreeBSD V4, until we stole a patch from the NetBSD boys.

Brett

Technically the name is Digital Server 3300R.   It's the "white box" equivalent to the Alpha Server 800.   I have two of the 800's and when I bought a 500Mhz processor board for one (to replace the 333Mhz) it apparently is hardcoded in ROM or NVRAM on the board since it now identifies itself as a Digital Server instead of an Alphaserver in the SRM.   But it still runs VMS okay. ;)

I also have a Digital Server 5300 which I patched the NVRAM so it would boot VMS.   Matches the Alphaserver 1200 except it's all white.

Not too bad once they get booted.

John H. Reinhardt