[HECnet] Sort of off-topic, co-locating area 8

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 03:47:10 PST 2013

See my comments below.

This is what I bought for my own VM servers:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00715072&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0001

HP DL360 Gen 5.   I have two I got on Ebay.   Total cost about $1100 US.   If my Pounds/Dollar conversion is about right, that's about the same as the DL380 you found.   Two DL360's would fit in the same 2U rack space and give you some redundancy. Plus a lot more horsepower.

Mine are configured as follows:
    2 Intel Xeon Quad core E5345 2.33Ghz processors
    16GB memory
    6 73GB SAS drives in a RAID 10 (3 mirrors, striped over the mirror) which yields me about 200GB space.

I run VMWare ESXi 5 on both.   Why?   Because it's free, it works reasonably well and I'm lazy.   It would probably be more efficient to put a stripped Linux and VirtualBox but it's nice to be able to just create a VM with a few measly clicks.   The downside is that I have to run the VMWare vSphere Client on a Windows platform.   In this case it's Windows 7 running on my Mac Pro inside a VMWare Fusion VM.

John H. Reinhardt