Sync serial bridging over Ethernet, was Re: [HECnet] Multi-floor household (DECnet) routing help needed

Ian McLaughlin ian at platinum.net
Thu Jan 17 23:06:14 PST 2013

On 2013-01-17, at 11:00 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

What sort of hardware interface would you envision?

Two ports - Sync and Ethernet.   Maybe a couple of status LEDs.

What do we need for config?   Local IP address, Remote IP address, Baud rate (because we'd need to generate clock if I'm not mistaken).

How do we get parameters in?   Web interface or telnet CLI ?   Maybe DHCP extra parameters (no need to write a GUI, but some people will find configuring their DHCP server to serve additional parameters very difficult).

UDP means not having to worry about master and slave.

Your thoughts?

Ian